Monday, September 29, 2014

Witching Hour

Halloween is right around the corner! One of my family's favorite holidays. You know, other than Christmas or their birthday. Last year, my son decided that he wanted us to go as the Mario Brothers. So naturally, the four year old got to be Mario, Daddy was Luigi, and I was Princess Peach. And I sewed the costumes (Other than my dress. I scored and found it at a thrift store for eight dollars). And lucky I did. A child's Mario costume was over 40 bucks! I was flabbergasted. Could you imagine how much an adult Luigi costume would have cost? Yikes! I didn't even want to go there to find out. In the end, I think we spent less that 30 dollars on all three of our costumes. The only downside of making the costumes last year was that we waited to long to decide what to do. In fact, I sewed Daddy's costume the night before Halloween! Talk about pushing my luck.

This year, Bubba has his heart set on being a zombie. I don't understand what their fascination is with zombies, but apparently my boy is not the only one. Thank goodness. Now, I don't know about your husband or significant other, but mine L-O-V-E loves zombies. And if he is going to be a zombie, he is going to be decked out. From visible intestines to eyes popped out of the sockets. All the way down to the shambling walk. I know as much as Bubba loves to play zombies, this would scare him and I would never get him to sleep again. And I need my sleep. So Daddy has been forbidden to be a zombie for Halloween. At least for a few years. No need to traumatize our little guy, right?

So this year I was thinking Munster style family costumes. You know, how Mr and Mrs Frankenstein have a werewolf for a boy? The grandpa's a vampire? You get it, right?

Daddy costume - Undetermined. We have a few ideas, but nothing set in stone.

Mommy - Witch

Bubba - Zombie

So seeing as last year, I was really behind on the costume making. I thought I would get a head start. So I started making my Witch's hat. It took me a total of one hour and rounding up towards 12 dollars to make. I was inspired by the hats I saw at the Halloween store. They were 15 dollars plus tax and in my mind, poor quality. I could see the hot glue quite clearly! To me, it was only worth about five dollars. If it looks crafty, I might as well make it myself and really love the outcome. Don't you agree? So here is what I came up with





It is made out of felt. I bought two yards for about $6
The tulle was $1.69
Two flower bouquet from the Dollar store
A spider and Light up skull also from the Dollar store
And some ribbon I already had on hand

I stuffed the cone of the hat with some pollyfoam I already had and Daddy brought and cut the cardboard I used to support the brim. I tied the tulle on the hat with the ribbon. I used some pliers to cut the roses from the stems and hot glued the roses all around the cone of the hat. I also used the rest of the bouquet which consisted of the leaves and branches. Then glued everything else down. I really think the skull makes the hat with the light up eyes. All in all, Mommy is happy with the outcome. Totally better than store bought!

No comments:

Post a Comment