Monday, April 7, 2014

Captain Bubba Turns 5



It hit me that my baby boy isn’t a baby anymore. He is officially five years old and for some reason that makes him a big boy. Maybe it is because he’s going to be starting school this year. Or perhaps it is because he keeps telling me that “I’m a big boy, Mommy!”

Mommy and Bubba
Either way, I don’t like it. I remember the first time he crawled, his first steps, his first words, holding him in my arms with him sound asleep. And now a new chapter in his life has opened and I am afraid that I won’t be his best friend anymore or he won’t get upset when Daddy kisses Mommy before kissing Bubba when Daddy comes home from work. Or what if he doesn’t want me to tuck him in at bed time? But as the tears roll down my cheeks, I recall what I have always said: Even when you are forty years old, Bubba, you will still be my sweet baby boy. Hopefully, for the time being this will placate me until his next step in life.

Bubba’s Pirate Party was a huge success. I was so happy that it was a lovely, sunny day. We had been having some crazy weather lately, so the sun was a welcome guest to this Shindig.

This Mommy managed to pull through the tears, frustration, and eventual excitement. For there were tears, well, almost tears. I thought for sure that the Pirate Ships were not going to happen and I was half right. The original plan was to have two pirate ships and a cannon ball fight. But I completely failed at making just one pirate ship. I called my fiancé at work almost in tears because I couldn’t get the stupid thing to stand right. I suggest to any mommy who wants a pirate ship at their child’s party to just acquire the cardboard boxes and let your man figure it out. I should have done that from the beginning, it would have saved me time and I wouldn’t have stuffed my face with chocolate afterwards. But all in all, Daddy did a fantastic job, he even figured out how to make a mast for the ship. I had bought spray paint at Wal-mart for ninety-six cents a bottle and we went to town. I also sponge painted on the skull and crossbones. The Jolly Roger (flag) I’ve had since I was a teen, had finally found a purpose. Not many Jolly Rogers get to be hoisted up on a mast anymore. We also had a Walk The Plank set up next to the ship.
 
 We also have a fifteen foot trampoline in our back yard and it didn’t take long for the kids to find that. They were all running back and forth to the ship then back to the trampoline. They even had sword fights on the trampoline.
 
Great Grampa

The hats went over great with the guests, kids and adults alike. Most of the hats left with the guests too, which was awesome! What am I supposed to do with twenty-five pirate hats after this? It was quite funny to see Daddy’s grampa with a pirate hat on which he wore the entire day.



Daddy

We had a potluck for lunch. My mum made chili, nachos, and homemade meatballs. My fiancé made homemade turkey burgers, which were delicious. And the rest of the family brought tons of more food which has currently taken up residence in both of our fridges. We won’t need to go grocery shopping for a while.

The cake turned out pretty amazing. My future-mother-in-law even said it was Pinterest worthy which was a huge compliment for me, big Pinterest fanatic that I am. Although, I did have some issues when making the cake. My cake was so moist that it crumbled as I was building and frosting it. My best friend’s mum told me to freeze it before building and then it won’t crumble; Just a heads up for anyone else who might try it. I got the lay out of the cake here. Mine did not turn out like hers because of my mishaps. But it worked out all the same.


 
 We closed up the day with presents. A big THANKS to everyone. It was like Christmas for our little boy. Be expecting our thank you cards soon. We had such a wonderful day among family and friends. I was overjoyed at how many people came to show their love for Bubba and for helping us celebrate him turning five. And thank you to my friends who came by early to help me set up, you really saved my skin and made it possible for this Mommy to do it all.



Kati, Mommy, Cherae

No comments:

Post a Comment